Monday, January 11, 2010

It seemed like a good idea...

I don't know what it is about me, but every time I have a baby, I suddenly decide the older sibling needs to be potty trained. I have spent more time nursing while sitting just outside the bathroom door singing songs and reading books than I care to admit. Anyway, here I go again. Today is day one of Miles' potty training. It's going so terribly that I almost didn't post this so no one would ask me how it was going if I decide to give up. We have had 11 accidents and 1 success. That was after the first 5 hours. I was thankful for nap time so I could put him on a diaper without guilt and spend some time in the rest of the house that didn't involve cleaning puddles. I go cold turkey straight to undies (I believe pull-ups are the enemy of potty training until they have a good handle on the concept, but I do use them or diapers during naps and at night until they consistently wake-up dry) so I know to expect a lot of accidents at first, I just don't remember having to take Caid or Henry to the bathroom every 5 minutes and still have this many accidents. I have tried telling myself to give it one week before giving up, but he's younger than the other 2 were when I trained them, and if I wait I can do it in the summer when Sam's home, Charlie is a little less attached, and Miles will be spending more time outside, cutting down consistently on clean-up. Can you appreciate the temptation? Plus I thought I picked a week when I had nothing going on, but I was grossly mistaken and that adds an extra wrench in things. Anyway, I am mostly just venting. I don't really intend to give up yet, but I will have to rely on pull-ups more than I hoped. I will enjoy the next hour, then back to the grindstone and give it at least 2 more days before I let myself really get discouraged. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Bug said...

Good Luck! My Jake is 3 and I'm waiting 'till this summer. When i was training Ben (my first) he did the unthinkable. I couldn't beleive it was possible to poop 3 times in 1 hour (all in underwear). He must have had a gift. Oh, well.... they never go to college in diapers, so i'm good :)