Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Cold Medicine

Yesterday I woke up with a sinus headache.  I don't really know if that's what its called, but when I get one there is pressure in my head around my nose, my temples, and my forehead, and whenever I bend over my head feels like its going to explode.  I avoid taking cold medicine at all costs, but we had some medicine that said it was for sinus pressure and congestion and I have been eyeing it for awhile anytime I have a sinus headache wondering if it would work.  I took some.  Then about an hour later I remembered why I avoid cold medicine.  The rest of the afternoon I was walking around totally loopy and mentally out of it (I only took 1 pill!) and ready to fall asleep at any second, AND I still had pressure around my nose, my temples, my forehead and my head still felt like it was going to explode every time I bent over.  How is that helpful?  Its like that medicine they give you when you're in labor before they can give you an epidural.  You still feel all the pain of labor, but you're really drowsy and mentally out of it so you fall asleep between contractions and then wake up to excruciating pain but you're so out of it that by the time you figure out what's going on and can try to cope the contraction's almost over and you get loopy and fall asleep again.  Again: not helpful.  What is it with medicine.  At least now I know: that box that reads "For sinus pressure and sinus congestion"  is not my friend.  All its good for is if I need a better excuse than sleep deprivation to take a nap or act like a zombie.

No comments: