Monday, May 11, 2009

Spring

Spring is a time of renewal. So I am going to renew my efforts toward blogging.  First of all, I am going to take a selfish approach and instead of trying to get pictures or think of things I think are funny, I am just going to ramble out whatever is going on in my mind or my life, so at least I have it recorded somewhere (that was the original idea, but the pressure of it being out there in the world made me feel obligated to entertain everyone).  It might still be interesting, entertaining, and even funny at times, but not on purpose.  Anyway, I rambled on about that more than I meant to already.  I'll probably still be a terrible blogger (how's that for a self-fulfilling prophecy?), but maybe I'll be better?!
Second, spring is when you work in the yard.  I am so proud of us.  Usually we just cut back stuff that looks dead, or take out stuff we don't like or don't know what it is or how to take care of it.  But this year we actually have a plan and have gotten some things done.  We now have grass in our front yard, instead of spots of dead grass, spots of moss, and a big patch of dirt where our tree used to be.  We also have 3 blueberry plants and negative space around them, as opposed what used to be next to our driveway, which was crammed with way too much stuff, most of which was overgrown and/or partly killed (because of our lack of skills and the 2 feet of snow last winter).  And finally we (dun-du-nu-NUH!) planted a garden.  I tried once 5 years ago at our house in West Seattle, but for several good reasons it was a terrible flop.  After all my work and sweat and time we got 3 carrots about 2-3 inches long and 1 or 2 cherry-sized tomatoes.  After that experience I was a little nervous about going through all that again only to discover that I really do have a brown thumb and am destined to kill anything I try to care for (luckily my children seem to be heartier and more resilient than plants).  But after going through all my excuses, I gave in and gave it one more shot.  If all goes ideal, in a few months we will have carrots, potatoes, spinach, zucchini, basil, cilantro, tomatoes, cucumbers and our very own homegrown halloween pumpkins, orange AND white.  If all goes terribly wrong we will have a patch of dirt in our backyard that will make me very angry to look at until we fill it in with grass again and move on enough that I can laugh at it.  I'll keep you posted.  Speaking of
 posts, this is getting too long, so I am going to end.  Happy Spring and best of luck with whatever projects you are undertaking.


P.S. This weekend is the father and sons camp out for our church.  Sam may or may not take Miles with him, the verdict is still out, but can I just say that one of the bonuses of having all boys (at least for now, it may all change in 2 weeks - I'm sure I'll post about it) is that for one 24 hour period every year you get peace and quiet and the house to yourself and nobody complains about it.  I don't know what I'm going to do yet, but I can't wait!

4 comments:

Braydan and Jessica said...

Yay for gardening! I'm sure it will be great and maybe we can all swap veggies around since the Dyers are growing different things too!

KANDY said...

Yay for blog updates, I was really starting to worry. :) Can't wait too find out the verdict.

Donya said...

Great entry! Loved reading your ramblings. May the sun shine on your garden and may it grow like crazy!

KANDY said...

O.M.G.!!!! I am so excited! Finally my kids wil have play dates! :) Evan and Dallas will be calling! YES!
You do realize that Heavenly Father chose your worthy family to raise and send out STRONG MISSIONARY MEN!! We are gonna be popular at church.....people are gonn say....." here come those WEAVER and ADAMS BOYS!!!!! I am so happy for you both.